Monday, October 29, 2012

Magnificent Monday (Day 44)

Today, everything went as planned.  All of the lessons and transitions went smoothly, the students were always engaged, and they understood all of the material that was presented to them.  The only negative thing I have to say is about our lack of Social Studies instruction due to our free Salvation Army concert.   We didn't get to focus on Social Studies, so I had them to do it for homework.
     As far as the free concert goes......it was a little "iffy."  The concert was presented by a Christian rock band.  The students seemed to really enjoy it but the focus of their songs and their lyrics were heavily laden with Jesus references.  They even had crowd interaction with one of their "creator" songs.  Now, I am not trying to say that the concert was not enjoyable for the students but I do not think it was a smart idea to have this type of group perform at our school.  There are a lot of different beliefs at our school in regards to religion.   If a parent of a child who was of a different religion were to become upset by this concert it would not mean positive things for Gideons.
    I personally thought that the concert was going to be focused on a Drug Free theme because it was apart of our Drug Free Week festivities.  So, needless to say, I was quite surprised and taken aback by the presentation of a Christian band.  If our school was a Private Christian Academy then this concert would have posed no problem.  However, our school is not and I think that a different band should have been used for our school concert. I am just simply thinking of those parents who are of a different religion and chose to put their students into a pubic school versus a religious private school.  I do not think that the concert was negative in any way.  Yet, I understand how this could have a negative impact on the school.  I am a graduate of a school, Lakeview Fort Oglethorpe High School, who thought nothing of putting up Christian based football signs and having prayers at games and received a negative spotlight because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment